Pages

Monday, November 21, 2016

Strengths and Weaknesses of my Methods

I am really excited about the progress that I have made over this time. We just turned in our methods assignment and I feel like I have a good grasp on the steps I have to take to make this project happen. 

I feel really good on choosing a coded content analysis. First of all, I chose a content analysis versus other methods like a thematic analysis because I know what I want to find in movies, it is a matter of tabulating them. Other methods are more exploratory and find general trends in the movies. 

Luckily, I already have some sources that outline the things that I will need to code for, so I have a strong basis to start my research. I will then be able to make my own coding chart and improvements on the previous methods. To make improvements, I plan on turning one of the source’s questions that they answered into statements that I can more accurately code for. I plan on creating two separate coding sheets: one for gender and one for family. This means I will be coding each movie at least twice. So, I am comfortable creating the coding sheet and justifying why I am using those things. 

However, I am still shaky on defining things like when to code. For example, one source I read talked about if the scene changed it would code for a certain behavior but what if it focuses on one character then changes to another character and back to the original character? Do I code for the behavior once or twice? So it is little ambiguities that I think I will have to define in the paper (or if they are very minute I guess in my head and stay consistent in my coding). Also, I think if I code the movies more than once, I can account for these small ambiguities. 

Another factor I am unsure about is the movies that I will be watching. I originally found a source that said the 1970s was the decade the modern idea of family was solidified. But, then I realized this date coincides with Dorfman’s publication, which I am trying to say is outdated. For this reason, I am wondering if this is a contradiction or an interesting aspect that I can analyze and discuss? I do not want to arbitrarily pick the last decade, but I am also concerned about how many movies I will have to analyze. 

3 comments:

  1. Grace -- I think you have a lot of clarity. As for your question about when to code, I agree that you'll need to make your decision, justify it, and then just be consistent throughout your methods. Since you're going to be looking at a considerable volume of movies, it may make sense for you to make a new tabulation each time a scene changes.

    However, the amount of movies could potentially be smaller, as you pointed out the contradiction in your justifications. However, I do think that you can justify it by saying that you'll start there, when it first started, and look at movies up to modern times to see if/how those themes have changed over time, thus picking up where Dorfman left off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, I think your project is really unique, especially since Disney and Marxism are two things that we generally do not associate with each other. Since the last literature review critique in class, your research has definitely developed a lot. Overall, from reading this, I can tell that your content analysis is exactly what you should be using to answer your research question.

    The only thing is, make sure that you are very specific in defining your different codes for gender and families, when you will be making the sheets. Also, you may find that some things may overlap between your gender and family codes. From the content analysis methods I read, it is probably best if you code scene by scene.

    Also, I think you should adress the fact that the 1970s was the time when the idea of a modern family was solidified. This is important because it actually helps you in showing that Dorfman is outdated, especially since it would mean that Dorfman's publication came at a time before or just when the idea of a family was solidified--meaning Dorfman was unable to fully adress the idea of a modern family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 100% agree with you that a content analysis is the right route to go compared to a thematic analysis as you are looking for certain characteristics of Marxism in the Disney movies. ^I agree with Gursajan in that you are going to have to be very specific in defining the different codes for gender and families. Do you plan to then after coding separately for gender and families to go back and find the connections between the two or just connect them based off or your coding (do you plan to watch again or just make inferences based off of the code?)? I think you have a solid grasp on how everything within the code needs to be justified and checked over and over again. I think your justification for the 1970s works well but you will need to add that to your literature review and Gursajan gives a good way of explaining it in your paper. I wish you luck. You seem like you are on the right path.

    ReplyDelete