Pages

Monday, January 30, 2017

One step back, two steps forward

Since we are almost done with school (!!!) I am soon turning in the "final" version of my literature review and methods section, so that I am ready to go on my own. In preparation for this step, we had individual meetings with Mrs. Haag.

My meeting was very productive. While there is a lot that I have to do to make my papers as strong as they can, I feel confident in what I have to do to get there. Additionally, I am very motivated to follow through and put the most effort into this assignment, to make my research even more meaningful. Since there was a lot to do though, I consider this a small step back. I completely understand though how Mrs. Haag described the research process as recursive because each time I make a change, or decide to take a single part in a different direction, I have to go all the way back to the literature review so that my research is consistent and justified.

This weekend, I started implementing my research. I faced some challenges but it was exciting actually diving into the research. I watched the incredibles first, thinking that the singular family was very easy to define which would simplify the data collection.

It went pretty well, as I saw a lot of the traits coming up in the characters and actions. However, I think the way I collected the data is still vague and will not give me a nuanced amount of results. Specifically when coding for the authority and submissiveness of Mr. and Mrs. Incredible, they both displayed the traits of very authoritative figures. I simple checked yes or no for the traits though, so even though I would say they were more authoritative, there were still some instances of submissiveness. Therefore, I think a scale would be more nuanced in that I could account for the frequencies of traits, giving me a stronger perception of the characters within the code. The scale would be based on the amount of times a trait is displayed like I conducted for the gender personality.

Another thing I am having some trouble with is how long my code is. Because I have to sort through where to mark certain things, I often had to pause the movie. Obviously this is just a necessary evil, but I plan on trying to organize the sheet better to make it more efficient. There's a lot of information to record, and I am sure I will get more comfortable once I start coding more.


3 comments:

  1. Haha -- the gif at the end was how Daphne described AP Seminar last year. You will survive!

    Moreover, I'm so glad that you're seeing how and why the research process needs to be recursive in nature. I like how you explained how as we make later changes, we need to make sure the beginning justifies those changes. I'm so excited for you to continue to do this research! I think you're going to draw some really cool conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grace!

    I understand the tedious nature of the research process - going back and revising, then analyzing again and re-tweeking - but it is reassuring because it shows that you are making progress and heading in the right direction toward making some insightful discoveries. It's super exciting that you've started your research, and I love how you tied in a gif from the movie you watched! I think the scale would be a good way to add not only more nuance, but a better way to compare different traits among the characters. As for organizing your coding sheet, that is something that will seem awkward and tedious at first, but I'm sure that once you get into a rhythm, it will get a lot easier. Good luck continuing your research! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Grace! Love the progress you have made so far in your research. It's honestly great that you're going back and fixing a lot of your methods (I know I have been doing the same). It shows that you're taking your research seriously. As far as your authoritative/submissive research problem goes, it sounds like implementing a scale (like you suggested) would make your findings more nuanced. This would also make your research more consistent since I believe you already use a scale with the other dynamics you are looking at. No worries, we have a lot of research to do but only a week left of school -- giving us more time to focus on research.

    ReplyDelete