Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2017

We're Done! (with school at least)

This week was very exciting in that we had our last day of school! Then, the next day I flew to Hawaii. I am so relieved to be done with classes, but I know that my work is far from over. Looking at the AP Research schedule was pretty overwhelming since there is a lot that needs to be done and the days are flying by.

Since I left for Hawaii, I have not been able to complete more of my data collection. However, I am in good shape to get everything done by the due date still since each movie is only about an hour and a half.

I also realized that I will have to add another movie to my list: Moana! I am actually really looking forward to this because I haven't seen it yet and I heard good things.

In order to turn in my final draft of my literature review and methods, I had to do some big edits. Basically, I was skirting around the main idea that parents create childhood ideals for their children to live in outside of the hardships of labor. Because of this, the children only perceive the world through the roles they think they must fill in the future, becoming the model parent their own parents created. The parent acts as a producer of his own children's ideal childhood, creating a capitalist cycle. Now that these connections are made between parent, child, consumer, and producer, I have a clear conclusion that I can link my methods to.

Now that we are on our own, I think the biggest pitfall I imagine I would fall into, is pushing off my data collection. However, I will put together a revised schedule when I get home so that I can stay on top of my movie watching. Overall though, I am really looking forward to continue watching the movies. With all of the deadlines in place, I know I can manage my time to get everything together. I think being done with classes will have a positive effect on my project because now I have larger chunks of time I can dedicate to watching movies.

I'm writing this research blog in a swim suit looking at the ocean, but I'm anxious to get back and working!
(383)

4 comments:

  1. Grace, I have to say that I'm quite jealous that you're in Hawaii, in a swimsuit, on the beach. What I am NOT jealous of, however, is the amount of research you need to do. What I'd like to hear you reflect more on is how you're going to incorporate that qualitative component into your research in terms of 1) your schedule and 2) your analysis of results. I know we talked about it quite preliminarily, so I want to see how it's developing and how it changes the amount of time, per day, you need to put forth into your research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grace! Moana was such a good movie and, having watched it, I think that you're going to get some great data from that movie from what I know about your project. I hope you have fun in Hawaii, but make sure that you do get started on your research as soon as you get home/maybe even on the plane. I'm glad you've got a good handle on everything that you need to do though. I can't wait to see more of your progress! I really want to see what conclusions you draw from the movies and your experience watching these movies is. Good luck and have fun in Hawaii!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Grace! I haven't seen Moana so let me know if its worth watching! Also, have fun in Hawaii. I think the biggest pitfall you face right now is simply running out of time, but I'm sure you'll find time to watch the Disney movies and collect data. I'm actually really curious about your project and the results you draw (mostly because I've never thought of this theme in Disney movies and it would be really cool to see what you find). Other than that, it seems like you know what to do, and its just a matter of completing it! Also, your blog looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace,

    This blog and project are amazing. Seriously though, Up makes me cry too much. I'm going to echo a lot of the sentiments before me, but I think you definitely need to outline a more rigid plan for watching the movies. Even though they're an hour and a half long, I'm sure they have a ton of info that is useful in your coding sheet. I guess you could start watching the movies right now for fun and just keep these things in mind, without a coding sheet, and then do a solid analysis of them later, which can make the entire process much easier. Also, you should start synthesizing and looking at the results together as soon as you start getting them. That way you can vacay longer, later.

    Anyways, I've said this before, but I think your project is really cool, and I can't wait to see the final product.

    Hang Loose,
    Akash

    ReplyDelete