Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2017

WOW the third trimester is great!! I get to watch movies all day! 

Honestly though, starting to watch movies has made me even more excited about this project. I think it is because I was starting to get sick of talking theory and now I can actually see how all of the pieces are working together. 

One cool thing. I watched the Lion King, and we all know Simba is to be the king when his father passes away and he was expected to fill this role since the day he was born. Then he runs away and the main story continues. But, the end he becomes king again, therefore filling the role his parents (and his whole society) expected him to fill. The end scene is even his own son being raised on the rock. So, this movie was perfect for the thematic analysis on children fulfilling the world the parents create for them and continuing the cycle. 

After I analyzed the movie, but I realized "duh the circle of life." 



But I'm still very pumped and hope this can come into conversation of themes throughout the movies. 

I am feel very good about my research. Another big decision I made this week was cutting movies out of my sample. Movies like Toy Story and Monsters, Inc. had too little of family interactions for me to analyze their gender or the future perceptions. This makes my job a little easier with less movies to watch, but also limits the scope of my research. However, I still feel like my results will be meaningful and relatable to Disney as a whole. I also think this could be a point of future research to expand the character types or structures analyzed. 

I fell a little behind on the movies to watch based on my day to day schedule. However, I have a whole day tomorrow to watch movies and that’s the only plans I have. So I will be right on schedule again. I am only two movies behind so I’m looking forward to watching them tomorrow. The coding is going a lot easier now that I am getting into it. I look forward to starting to analyze my data to find trends. It’s finally all coming together! 

(377) 


4 comments:

  1. Hey Grace! It's so awesome that you get to watch movies for your research. Also, the Lion King is probably my favorite Disney movie (Hans Zimmer was amazing on the soundtrack). Anyways, I see that you found some movies to cut out, but I'd love to hear exactly how you determined the amount of family interaction and what limitations that may pose. Also, have you found anything super interesting in any movies so far? I'd love to hear a new perspective on some of my childhood movies! Anyways, it looks like you'll be on track to catch up tomorrow, which is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace,

    You just reminded me about all of the kids movies I need to watch again. I absolutely LOVED Monsters, Inc. Anyways, it seems that you have a really good idea of what you're doing and the way you're project is going. Before you go into any of the movies you're watching tomorrow, are you expecting anything different from the movies you've analyzed so far? I'm sure you've thought about this already, but I guess it's nice to make some of your comparisons more explicit for your research, and get an idea of your perceptions from remembering the movie and then watching it afterwards.

    To be honest, I am so jealous you get to watch all these movies right now.

    Oh well, Hakuna Matata!

    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace! Your project is super exciting because I LOVE DISNEY. Like, Disney hardcore dominated my life for many years (/it still kind of does). As long as you justified how you cut all the movies, it's a great move to focus your sample on movies that will give you meaningful data! And I think you are right about Monster's Inc. and Toy Story (although their friendship could be familial? but that is a stretch). It sounds like you know how to handle everything you're doing and that you've got a good handle on how to code everything which is super exciting. Is there anything so far that stands out to you as a trend already? And do you think knowing these trends could be impacting how you're analyzing your following movies? I've been going through the same kind of problem with biasing myself at times, so just think about it and stay on top of it, but it can also help you make patterns! Good luck on watching all your movies! I'm super excited to learn more about Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you made some adjustments in your sample. It shows that you're reflecting and tweaking as you move forward. I do, however, look forward to seeing all of the data completely compiled, as the change in sample resulted in less data all together.

    Moreover, I want you to start to put together a clear plan for putting the two methods in conversation with each other. I also want you to be sure and go back to convey "society's expectations" as you did with Aladdin.

    ReplyDelete