Pages

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Presentation Preparation

Hello AP research pals!

Colorful slides with a variety of words and pictures, with a passionate speaker engaging the audience, and a steady flow of information is what I envision as an ideal presentation. I like a lot of variety when I am watching a presentation, like alternating between words and pictures, even formats. I also think an ideal presenter is passionate about the topic, transcending merely memorizing the presentation to an interesting conversation of information. Additionally I love when slides match exactly what is being said, like when the slide is immediately related to the script and timing is matched as well.

This last week I redid my power point and script. I got really into it and tried to make it as engaging as possible. On my own, I was able to create a colorful and vibrant slide show that limited the amount of words, instead using lots of images and gifs (Disney gifs in an AP presentation? What?!). Although my slide show is really long, many slides only have a sentence attached to them, so I think the constant movement and flow of slides will be engaging. With Mrs. Haag's reminder, I added transitions to create even more flow in the presentation, while also matching my words perfectly to the slides. Also, she suggested creating diagrams like flow charts for some of my wordier slides. Overall, I feel extremely confident in my power point presentation.
Feeling confident about my Power Point


I am slightly less confident in my script, not because of information included, but just the amount I have to know and make engaging. My script is strongly aligned with my slideshow and it accurately covers all of the points I need to effectively present my project, so now I just have to practice. I also think that there might be some transitions that are not as smooth as I want them to be like between different sections. So, once I hope that those will become more apparent when practicing.
Freaking out about memorizing a 54 slide script


This project to me seems different from a seminar presentation because it's like.... a big deal. Not that the seminar presentation wasn't, but in comparison this is way more legit. We have a panel of viewers. We are presenting a YEAR of research. I also think that we have to be more engaging since we have a panel, and keeping them happy and into the project seems like it would mean better oral defense questions. I feel like this is a big step in maturity from the seminar presentations, since we should be more advanced than last year.

My plan for practicing is to rehearse a lot by myself for these first few days. This way I can get the information and slide transitions down. Then I will start practicing my presentation style by presenting to my parents and sisters. I also really liked Mrs. Haag's idea of getting research kids together, so if anyone wants to practice together I'm down!
(506)


Until next week!! 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Grace! I really like your idea of having a colorful and engaging presentation, especially with your topic being Disney movies! :) I'm happy that you are confident with the visual aspect of your presentation, and, having gotten similar feedback from Ms. Haag, I think that a lot of animations, pictures, and bullets to accompany complex explanations are highly vital to a successful presentation. As far as all of your slides being unique and short-lived, just make sure that they are all still cohesive enough to look professional and the information remains up long enough for the viewer to follow along, but I think your overall idea is good. Regarding the script and the verbal side of the presentation, I understand your fears for memorizing and clearly conveying so much complex information! However, you have been working on this project for months now and know it in and out! You aren't just throwing out memorized information from sources like we were in seminar -- you are talking about a project that YOU did. So just own it and be confident (even though it is scary!), and I know you will rock it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace -- love this blog post! I agree with all that you've said above, and I am confident that your presentation will be excellent on April 14th. I think your slides are so improved -- I would just work on making sure you have strong transitions between each of your slides and points, particularly in the literature review. I also like the plan of making your family watch your presentation, and I'm glad you're putting it out there to get some AP Research people together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Grace!

    It was nice catching up with you this week... it had been too long! I agree that you need vibrant and engaging slides to match a vibrant and engaging speaking presence. I'm super excited to see these Disney gifs...

    By transitions, do you mean animations? I really used a lot of animations myself to make sure the audience is constantly being engaged and my slides correspond exactly to what I'm saying. So, I'd definitely include those.

    Also, having a cohesive theme with consistent formatting is something that I really focused on during this past week of editing. With your Disney topic, I'd make sure you have a really cohesive theme that aligns with your topic. I have some blood drop stuff... Custom themes rather than the generic Google Slide ones can really make the presentation engaging.

    I also felt similar about the script regarding memorization, so i made a handwritten bulleted list so I don't get stuck up on specific words, which I tend to do when scripts are written out.

    Regarding practice... I'll take you up on that offer! Family is good, but it's always good to get diverse perspectives.

    Home-stretch!
    Yash

    (196)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Grace! Sorry for the late response. I've had a lot going on. Anywho, I loved your blog post this week! I love how engaging it was with all the relevant Disney Gifs and everything! I also agree with the way you described the ideal presentation! I think that a vibrant and informative presentation is very important for AP Research. In addition, think you also need to add animations to your powerpoint presentation! Animations will help keep the audience engaged and will allow everyone to be curious about what is coming next! Overall, I cannot wait until I get to watch your presentation!

    Thanks,

    Ved Narayan

    108 words

    ReplyDelete