Pages

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Hi My Name is Grace Madura and I Will be Presenting on....

To be completely honest, this past week was a really tough one for me, so I'm just now getting some motivation back. Which is simultaneously good and bad. I feel very behind, but I am gaining back that momentum to dive back into my project and finish off strong. For this reason, I will admit that I  have the bare minimum amount of what I need right now. On the bright side though, I have a lot of ideas and am planning on putting the effort into make this presentation bomb. 

Rubric Row 1: I literally have a slide for the question, method, and conclusion. I don't know if it is too explicit but for now I have them in there. Perfectly obvious. 

Rubric Row 2: I have to integrate evidence and implications into my presentation. Which I don't have but have commented on places that I need to include them. I also need to make more specifics in my conclusions. 

Rubric Row 3: This row is actually really cool for my project because I thought there would be more signs of Marx's structures in these movies. But guess what? There's not! So I was wrong partly. But that's where the discussion on the purpose of the movies to entertain and then get the audience hooked on the products associated with the movies comes in. And Bam there is still room to prove Disney is strongly promoting consumerism through further research. 

Rubric Row 4: In the middle of my presentation there are some pretty boring slides. So i'll work on that. I made a slide that has all of the movies in my sample, and I think it is really cool, but I would love to know if it is too overwhelming. To me, it seemed like a good way to say I had 13 movies, without having to take the time to verbally list them all. Is that crazy? I am also planning on taking the audience through an evaluation of Aladdin to make the research process and data analysis section more clear (and prove I actually did work to come to my results). I feel like this example makes the audience a participant in the research process, and is hopefully very engaging, without taking too long of my presentation. My fear is that I go through this and then do not have enough time to talk about the conclusions in enough detail. 


I know I still have a lot of work to do. But I have a goal. This will hopefully be me when I rock the presentation. 
(430)



3 comments:

  1. Hey Grace!

    Everyone has a tough week or two, so don't beat yourself up about it! I think its great that you have a lot of ideas and are working hard to implement them, and I can't wait to see what the final result ends up being!

    As for your script and presentation, I could clearly see how you were directly addressing the rubric points. I think you did a great job mentioning explicitly the things the rubric wants you to, which is fantastic! However, and I think this is because your script was more of a bullet list than a full script (which is totally fine) but I felt as if the connections and the use of evidence that was necessary to answer the questions posed by the rubric was weak. I'm sure this is only because you had everything as simple bullets but will remember to make them clearly in your full presentation. Overall, I would have liked to see a bit more detail in your bullet points and a connection between each point and what slide it would be under!

    As for the slides, there were a lot of things that need to be fixed, but there were still some really cool moments. Some of the things that need to be fixed (luckily most of them are quick fixes) include: making sure images don't block text, making sure images are all visible once you enter presentation mode, and making sure all images are there (Moana was missing). Another thing I noticed is that your theme is just the standard white background. I think, especially for a topic like Disney, which is known for its animation and bright colorful work, that a white template is weak and rather uninspiring. I think by choosing another theme, your slides will look much better. Lastly, some parts of your slides just didn't make sense/ended without making sense. For example one of your slides just says something process, and leaves it at a fragment. One thing I really liked about your slides were the quotes and the font/color scheme you used to show them.

    Overall, I think you have very solid and creative ideas, but you need to start to implement them! I know that everyone has a rough week, but its the final stretch and I know you can come pull through and make this presentation as fascinating and informative as your paper!

    Amaan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grace!! I've also been super busy for the past week, so it's been difficult to keep up, but good for you for trying to get back on track!!

    You did a good job with your presentation, but I feel like there are some areas that you can really work on. First of all, although you can practice with a bulleted list, I think you should first write out everything you're going to say just so you know that you're explaining everything you need to and aren't missing any connections. A lot of points sounded really abrupt, weren't explained, or weren't connected. Also, for your script, you really need more sources. Wasko and Marx were the only sources I saw.

    For your slides, I think you can use a lot more pictures and colors to really make your presentation pop and be super engaging. Your topic deals with DISNEY, only the best thing/person/company like ever, with so much color and happiness and overall greatness, so you can definitely add a lot of pictures and aesthetically pleasing aids to make your presentation more vibrant and engaging. Instead of having blank white backgrounds, have a pic take up a background. Also, pls ditch the source code font lol. That font just looks so old and serious and doesn't really fit the disney vibe. I get that you're also talking about Marxism, but you can still have fun with the disney part. maybe I'm just really excited about disney.

    Anyway, good job, and you can do it!! Almost there (referencing a disney song)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grace,
    The weeks get tougher as we turn the corner into April, but it will all be worth as we blaze into the finish.

    Your script was impressively short, I could see the work you put in. However, there's a clear lack of definitions in parts of the paper. Some claims go unsubstantiated and there are some vague terms for the reader. Sources need to be added as well.

    The slides on the other hand did not come off as well. Sometimes its okay just to throw a semi random picture of a Disney character as long as it is relevant to the things you are saying. Maybe throw up Aladdin as you are discussing your examples. You did this well in the family section, but you need to fix it for the rest of the presentation.

    Well played,
    Ashwath V.

    ReplyDelete